As a part of the Office of External Affairs, the Office of Media Relations help raise RAND's profile by contributing to the awareness, understanding, and appreciation of RAND, our work, and our people through the management of print and online media commentary. The Office of Media Relations team has an exciting opportunity for an experience Media Relations Officer to join our team at our Arlington, VA office.
Media Relations Officers work closely with researchers and senior management to identify and prioritize RAND’s most compelling stories and provide strategic communications counsel. Media Relation Officers design and implement strategies to generate fair and impartial media coverage about RAND, which can include pitching stories to media, vetting time-sensitive media queries, scheduling interviews with RAND researchers, building relationships with relevant journalists, and writing succinct news materials about complex topics. This position will also contribute to the development and implementation of corporate communication priorities. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, creative, flexible, and able to meet high standards for quality and accuracy while operating under deadline pressure.
- A minimum of 6 years of related experience.
- Superior news writing skills, judgment, and understanding of news media operations
- Demonstrated understanding of how best to communicate through a variety of channels, including traditional, digital, broadcast and social media
- Proven ability in analyzing challenging or complex situations, often under tight deadlines, to develop and execute communications plans with a range of tactics
- Ability to exercise editorial judgment, self-direction, and independence while working on multiple projects
- Demonstrated ability to work well with and within teams
- Excellent communication and client management skills and a strong service orientation
- Familiarity with press-office tools such as media monitoring and media contacts databases
- Demonstrated experience with tools in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or their equivalents.
- Experience with top-tier media, corporate or government communications, and rigorous quality assurance systems.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public policy, or another related field with a strong communications component is required.
Successful candidates must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance. Please note U.S. citizenship is required to obtain a government security clearance.
Arlington, VA (Washington, DC)
RAND is an Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity