The Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE), a national nonprofit growing organization with 70 years of brand excellence seeks a Director, Proessional Development.
This position works with SOPHE committees to plan, implement and evaluate SOPHE’s annual conference; oversees revenue-generating online learning and SOPHE publications; and strategically advances the continuing education of health professionals. This position has supervisory responsibility.
Full-time position at a dynamic, growing organization with 70 years of nonprofit brand excellence. Newly renovated headquarters located at Union Station (Metro – Red Line) with some telework option & flexible work schedule. Comprehensive benefits package, including observance of 11 paid holidays and additional PTO, up to 5% 401K match with immediate vesting, strong health benefits package, and support for continuing education.
Work with the designated SOPHE Trustee and Planning Committee to plan, implement and evaluate SOPHE’s annual conference to meet members’ needs and financial objectives.
- Identify meeting theme & subthemes, solicit call for abstracts, and management of online abstract management system, communication with potential presenters, proposal reviewers, and other key stakeholders.
- In conjunction with CEO, prepare conference budget, monitor revenue and expenses, and take corrective action to meet financial goals.
- Work with vendors to design, prepare, print and disseminate preliminary and final conference programs.
- Conduct site inspections for meeting locations and participate in the site decision- making process. Work with external meeting contractor & CEO to negotiate and confirm all facilities’ and support service contracts.
- Oversee online conference registration, i.e. setup and testing of online system.
- Manage on-site logistics, contractors, volunteers and staff involvement in event.
- Oversee onsite coordination of exhibitors and sponsors, e.g. exhibit floor plan; coordination with shipping company/hotel to deliver exhibit materials to appropriate location; sponsorship fulfillment according to agreements.
- Work with SOPHE volunteers and staff to organize annual awards ceremony logistics.
- Partner with marketing department to coordinate meeting promotion, including workshop marketing and meeting program.Based on meeting evaluations, incorporate the results into future planning for professional development.
- Staff site selection committee, to solicit and review site recommendations for future conferences.
Work with Professional Development Committee to develop, implement and evaluate distance education offerings to meet members’ and target audiences (e.g., CHES®/MCHES® CPH)
- Analyze data from SOPHE surveys, chapter surveys, and professional development activity evaluations to determine learners’ needs.
- Work with SOPHE’s manager of Professional Development to provide online learning opportunities (i.e., webinars, journal self-studies, annual conference tapes) in SOPHE’s Center for Online Resources & Education (CORE).
- Working with SOPHE committees or subject matter experts, develop online courses; oversee continuing education (CE) content and development as needed; coordinate instructional design.
- Oversee CORE and distance education marketing and vendor relationships and contracts.
- Track budget and productivity of CE and CORE offerings.
Manage SOPHE publications to meet members’ needs and those of other target audiences.
- Work with Trustee, Publications to identify book or primer topics; evaluate proposals from SOPHE members or potential authors.
- Interact with publishers and book authors to enhance marketing efforts.
Serve as member of the SOPHE leadership team responsible for ensuring the organization’s strategic objectives are met.
- Supervise professional development staff.
- Meet with senior management team to discuss strategic initiatives and management issues.
- Provide periodic reports on SOPHE’s accomplishments related to profession development to SOPHE Boar
- Other duties as requested.
• Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in public health, health education/promotion, adult professional development, instructional design or similar educational field. CHES® preferred.
• At least five years of progressive meetings management experience for conferences of approximately 800+ persons and experience in negotiating, executing and managing contractor agreements.
• Significant experience in facilitating the design, management, and delivery of adult/professional educational programming. Experience within a nonprofit membership association setting, ideal.
• Experience working as an administrator with one or more association and learning management systems or other complex databases as well as Microsoft Office Suite and, Adobe Acrobat.
• Strategic thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently on multiple projects simultaneously, establish priorities, create and maintain production schedules, and meet deadlines, along with a proper balance of assertiveness, diplomacy, and discretion.
• Detail-oriented and organized.
10 G Street, NE Suite 605 | Washington, DC 20002
Located at Union Station (Metro - Red line), Amtrak, VRE, MARC
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
SOPHE is an equal opportunity employer.