Are you media-savvy and a skilled translator of technical topics? Do you have an interest in promoting and publicizing infrastructure issues and the civil engineering profession?
The 150,000-member American Society of Civil Engineers is currently recruiting for an energetic, highly organized strategic communications professional with a solid understanding of media relations and stellar writing skills to join our Washington, DC team.
- Writing press releases, media advisories, and official statements that promote the Society and its initiatives
- Building media lists and pitching stories to the media
- Drafting content for newsletter, blog, and website
- Supporting and managing media events and report releases, particularly related to ASCE's most high-profile publication, the Infrastructure Report Card
- Tracking media coverage, including compiling daily report of press clips for distribution to staff and leadership
- Fielding media calls from reporters and coordinating with subject matter experts as appropriate
- Preparing spokespeople for interviews, including developing messaging and writing talking points based on ASCE policies and technical reports
- Managing ASCE's Excellence in Journalism Award program
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree and 2-4 years of experience in media relations and strategic communications
- Demonstrated success supporting multiple projects and deadlines
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Experience with social media, as well as building and maintaining media lists in Meltwater or similar software
- Experience in an association or infrastructure-related industry a plus
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) is a nonprofit professional membership association dedicated to the advancement of the civil engineering profession in order to serve the public good.
To accomplish ASCE's mission, ASCE staff works together as a team, based on a foundation of trust, striving for individual and organizational excellence. To achieve our shared goals, we maintain a relentless focus on members and a commitment to continuously grow and improve individually and collectively.
Submissions of interest should include resume and a cover letter with salary requirements.